15 May 2008

Reinstall OpsMgr SP1 Reporting Server

I came to learn it the hard way of not toying with IIS configuration. What started with just running a simple command to switch IIS to run on Win32 Application pool eventually messed up my Reporting Server and even repairing of Reporting Server SP1 couldn't do the trick. Frantic search over the internet didn't help much and so I am left with no choice but to reinstall Reporting Server. Installation went well but then reports can't be generated and so looks like reinstalling of SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is my only choice now. This is what I did along the way on my OpsMgr server;
  1. Open OpsMgr Console, export Default Management Pack
  2. Edit the exported xml file to remove reference to Microsoft.Datawarehouse.Internal and also any Overrides as well
  3. Remove the Default Management Pack
  4. Remove the Microsoft.Datawarehouse.Internal MP and also Microsoft ODR MP
  5. Re-import the Default Management Pack from the xml file that you have edited earlier
  6. Remove Reporting Server via Add/Remove Programs
  7. Remove SSRS via Add/Remove Programs
  8. Remove the necessary Application Pools within IIS (Report Manager and Report Server)
  9. Log on to SQL Server Management Studio and Remove the following Database
    • OperationManagerDW
    • ReportServer
    • ReportServerTempDB
  10. Install SSRS and Upgrade to SP2
  11. Run Reporting Service Config Tool and ensure that you have configured
    • SSRS Virtual Directory
    • Reporting Server DB
    • Encryption Keys
    • Web Service
  12. Install OpsMgr Reporting SP1
  13. Wait a second, how come the reports list doesn't flow in ? For this, I did something extra. I went to my DC to add my SDK account as a member of Windows Authorization Access Group group.
  14. Wait for a while ( 20 minutes ) and the reports will start to list one by one
  15. Give the reports a few tests and that should do the trick.