29 October 2011

The Story of The Great Battle with the Security Hardening Policy

It’s been a while since I last posted on my blog. I am reigniting my blog posting initiative and to kickstart things off, I have changed the blog template to something which I hope to be more refreshing. Hope you liked it.

Lets get serious and back to business.

Recently, me and a colleague of mine encounters an problem with our OpsMgr installation setup. We have problems launching our Web Console as well as RMS having problem communicating with Data Warehouse.

When you launch your Web Console, you will get an error with the following description:

This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.

The workaround to resolve this was to

  • Goto the SCOM Web Console folder
  • Edit Web.Config with a text editor
  • Locate the <system.web> section and add the following into the section
    <machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate,IsolateApps" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate,IsolateApps" validation="3DES" decryption="3DES"/>



  • Save the Web.Config file


  • Restart IIS

    Note: Repeat the steps above with the SSRS folder in your server that hosts the SQL Reporting Services



    More information available from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911722